2015年6月6日 星期六

0398_to dig deep

0398 Daily Easy English Expression PODCAST—to dig deep
中譯/中文意思: 深究/深入了解
Dialog at: 4:32 and 8:37

A: So, how was DDM100?
B: It was great! We dug deep into sandwiches.
A: Sandwiches?
B: Yeah! Coach Shane and his mom showed us how to make four different kinds of typical, American sandwiches!



Dictation:

Hello, everybody,

My name is Coach Shane, and welcome to Easy English Expressions. You and me everyday. Come on. Let’s master English.

Hello, everybody. Welcome back to Daily Easy English expression, the podcast. Thank you so much for listening to this podcast. So today’s expression, it’s a good one, it’s “to dig deep”. To dig, D-I-G, that means, you know, you make a hole in the ground. I got a shovel or you used your finger and you started digging. Dogs like to dig in the ground and inside the hole they would put their bone and hide it. And then later, they’ll dig it back up and chow on their bone. That’s dogs do. To dig, if you dig really, really, really deep in the ground, you will find water. And people who live in the country usually have a well. They get their water from the ground. They dig a well. But to dig a well where I live, you have to dig deep. I see, right now, I live in the desert. There is no water anywhere so I gotta dig, dig, dig, and maybe finally, eventually, if you dig deep enough, you might find some water. Unfortunately, we have some lakes.

But today deep is a great expression and we use it especially when we study or when we have a nice conversation or if there is a debate between politicians. Or maybe on a radio show, you listen to talk radio show. “To dig deep” means to talk about a subject in depth. Not just to talk, you know, 5 minutes about the subject, but really analyze the subject to look the history of the subject, to listen to the different opinions about the subject, to discuss, to debate it, to find the good things, to find the bad things, to really get a good understanding, to dig deep.

Now, you know, some people love math. And I don’t know, me, I’m just not a fan of math. And the reason is, I know the reason, it’s because my old teacher, my old teacher’s name is xxxx. He was the worst, I am sorry, Mr. xxx, but you know, it’s true. He was the worst math teacher, perhaps in the USA. And he was extremely boring. He would say: “Okay, today, we’re going to learn this couple of examples, now do your homework“. That was it. Extremely boring. He said and read wrestling magazines. ?? big style, graco wrestling magazine. He’s a wrestling coach. He was the worst math teacher in the world. It’s just terrible. But I had another teacher, he’s name was xxx. And he told, basically, international politics. Oh, I loved that class. It’s so interesting because we dug deep. He would say: “Okay, today, I want you guys to read chapter3 and that was homework.” And then we come in to class and he would ask us questions about chapter3. And then, he would ask questions about our answers and then we’ll keep asking questions and keep discussing it. It was great. I love Mr. xxx’s class, his classes. We loved because he dug deep. I’ll talk a little bit more after you guys listen to the dialog:

A: So, how was DDM100?
B: It was great! We dug deep into sandwiches.
A: Sandwiches?
B: Yeah! Coach Shane and his mom showed us how to make four different kinds of typical, American sandwiches!

It’s true. DDM100, oh, it was a fun class. We were discussing sandwiches in the DDM lesson. So I decided to show my DDM students all about American sandwiches and we even made some special sandwiches. That’s a great video. And, of course, if you are DDM student, if you signed up for that class, you can get that great class. Today, we did DDM224, my goodness, already 224. And what did we dig deep into today? We talked about American high school year books. That’s interesting subject. And I went to our local library and I looked at the old year book and I made some photo-copies. And I show the DDM students these pictures, and talked about them and describe them and it was a lot of fun. We did something else to, I can’t remember, I talked about the word “smudge” S-M-U-D-G-E. It’s just an easy simple word. But how do you use this word? Well, I gave a bunch of different examples. We talked about so many different things in DDM. In DD, Daily Dictation, on youtube, is a great class for listening and it’s all free. I got 260 lessons and they’re all free. DDM, it’s DD, but digging deep. It’s lots of fun. And if you want to learn the language, you know, you can study an expression a day, e-cubed, you know, we give you one expression a day. That’s fantastic. That’s great. That’ll help you maintain your English. But if you really want to master the language, you need to dig deep. You do, absolutely, you know that. So, I am waiting for you. Don’t worry, I’ll be here. We want you to join DDM when we dig deep. Where’re you learn English? You learn so much English, it’s like you’re living in America. That’s what one of my DDM students said. I thought that was so cool. Dig deep. Master English. I like the DDM, Dig Deep Man. In Shane’s class, we DDM, we Dig Deep Man. Sorry, anyway, so it’s a great class. It’s a great expression.

So think about it, how about you? What’s the subject that you would like to dig deep on? History? English? Maybe it’s a more casual subject, like soccer or football. How about the reason, FIFA issue. In America, what takes American to FIFA? Anyway, it’s a big issue. Do you want to dig deep into that subject? I know more information. There’s million things we can dig deep into. Do it. Do it. Dig deep, become knowledge.


That’s right. It’s today’s expression. Thanks a lot again for listening everybody. Remember you can find all my podcasts on our website www.letsmasterenglish.com. Get them. You can download them. All my videos are there. All my classes are there. Go check out. Tell your friends. Thanks so much. Listen to the dialog two more times and together let’s master English. 

沒有留言:

張貼留言