2015年6月3日 星期三

0396_better safe than sorry

0396 Daily Easy English Expression PODCAST—better safe than sorry
中譯/中文意思: 安全至上 
Dialog at: 3:32 and 6:13

A: Oh, the weather looks great!
B: Yeah, it does. Got your umbrella?
A: What for? It’s sunny!
B: Better safe than sorry~



Dictation:

Hello, everybody,

My name is Coach Shane, and welcome to Easy English Expressions. You and me everyday. Come on. Let’s master English.

Hello, everybody. Welcome back to Daily Easy English expression, the podcast. Thank you, thanks you, thanks you. It’s terrible English. Thank you very much for listening to this podcast. You can listen to this podcast and every podcast I ever made for free. Just go to my website “www.letsmasterenglish.com”. There, you’ll see “LME Radio”. “LME” stands for “Let’s Master English”. “LME Radio” Boom! All my podcasts for free. Tell your friends. Thank you so much for listening. Today’s expression is “better safe than sorry”. “better safe than sorry”. Oh, boy, I really like this expression. This is something I said very frequently. It’s me. “better safe than sorry” B-E-T-T-E-R better safe S-A-F-E than T-H-A-N sorry S-O-R-R-Y. Well, the full sentence would be it is better to be safe than sorry. And what this expression means is “don’t be risky”. So, for example, you leave the house and as you leaving the house, you look at your cell phone. And you see there’s only about 10% of your battery left. So, do you bring your charging cord? Or, do you think all out be okay? What do you do? Now, many of you probably do not bring your charging cord. You know, ???. Me? I always bring my charging cord. 70%? No problem. 30%? Better safe than sorry. If I don’t bring my charging cord, and my cell phone battery dies, I will be sorry. In this case, sorry doesn’t mean “Oh, I am sorry.” It actually means disappointed, sad, or even angry. So, it’s better safe than sorry for me.

Yep. You know, I am kind of crazy. Now, I live in the desert, so I never bring an umbrella. It’s not rain. It’s not going to rain here. But when I lived in Korea, I could leave the house in the morning and it would be nice and sunny and then in the afternoon, it would be raining. So, for me, everyday, I carry an umbrella. Beacause, you know why. Let’s check out the dialog:

A: Oh, the weather looks great!
B: Yeah, it does. Got your umbrella?
A: What for? It’s sunny!
B: Better safe than sorry~

You bet? That’s what happens. And you leave the house, nice weather. You come home and it’s raining no umbrella. Your nice cloth gets all dirty. What a disaster. It’s terrible, I know, I know. Better safe than sorry.

I went to the hospital with my mother about a week ago. And she told me: “I was just 10 minutes in and out, no problem.” That was what my mom said. And I was thinking: “Well, 10 minutes at the hospital can be more like an hour“. So I decided to bring a book. I brought a book with me. And when my mom saw me with my book, she said: “What’s that? What do you need it for“?  I said: “Better safe than sorry, mom”. I would rather have my book, and you know carry it around even though it’s useless than sit at the hospital for one hour doing nothing. What happen? My mother was in and out in 10 minutes. I never opened the book. But, hey, I am glad I had it. Better safe than sorry.


What about you? Are you a risk-taker even for the silly things? Or you like me? do you always carry an umbrella? Do you always bring along extra clean T-shirt? What else do I do? I always hide 10 dollars in my wallet or in my jacket pocket. You know, it’s better safe than sorry. You’ll never know, you’ll never know. That’s today’s expression. It’s a brand new Monday but it’s June and that means I had to thank my new patron, sponsors, and dress sponsors and I’ll do that this week. You guys, thank you so much for your sponsorship. Listening to the podcast is the most important thing. No2, sharing it with your friends, telling your friends. And no3, investing, investing in your education, and investing in Coach Shane. Thank you so much. I’ll get back to that this week. Let’s check out the dialog two more times and together let’s master English.

沒有留言:

張貼留言